2023 Round Up

2023 Round Up

As another year comes to a close, we look back on some of the fabulous things that took place in 2023! 🥳

We began 2023 with a fresh new look!

As part of the University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI) partnership, we revealed a new name and visual identity to strengthen engagement with communities and market our offerings more effectively through a connected and recognisable brand family.

As well as new approaches to photography and design, the change featured a new logo across campuses, based on the letters UHI, and an embedded plus sign and strapline: ‘where learning means more’.

Dr Margaret Cook, UHI Perth Principal, said: “UHI Perth is a partner of UHI and we are proud to continue serving our communities and connecting with their needs.  We hope our community will embrace our new identity as we look to the future and continue to offer even more diverse, flexible, and supported learning opportunities from access level to PhD.

“UHI is the official collective identity of our partnership, demonstrating that we are more than a college and more than a university, where we offer many more options and opportunities than any single college or university can.”

Talented young chefs brought the heat to the kitchen 🔥

Budding chefs as young as 12 displayed their talents to an impressed judging panel at UHI Perth in the Rotary Young Chef Final representing Rotary Clubs in the North and East of Scotland.

After an entertaining two hours of cooking, Georgina Sives, Sarah Smart and Thea Still emerged victorious with their meals which blew the judges away. The competition aims to encourage young people to cook healthy meals on a budget by challenging them to prepare a three-course meal in two hours with just £22 worth of ingredients. It also benefits young people by teaching them skills in organisation as well as improving their ability to cope under pressure.

Neil Mugg - UHI Perth lecturer, who was on the judging panel - considered timing, taste, costings, skills, presentation, hygiene, and planning. He explained: "It was a really inspiring day and wonderful to see such young talent shining through with their passion, creativity and enthusiasm. Congratulations to all the chefs on their amazing dishes."

We celebrated Burns Night 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

HND Professional Cookery student, Katy, planned and executed a fabulous Scottish evening in our training restaurant

Katy warmly welcomed customers and special guest, Donald Paton - The Honorary Life President of Perth Burns Club, who addressed the haggis and recited 'To a Louse' with enthusiasm!

HNC Professional Cookery student, Leah - who is a member of the Army Cadet Pipe Band in Glenrothes - piped beautifully throughout the evening.

Katy demonstrated excellent leadership and organisational skills throughout the day, ensuring her night was a fabulous success.

A new partnership will help to make UHI Perth music students’ industry-ready

UHI Perth and the Scottish Music Industry Association (SMIA) began working in partnership to help maximise the employability of our music degree programme graduates. A collaboration agreement will see SMIA provide accreditation and endorsement of BA Hons Popular Music and BA Hons Music Business programmes.

Part of the new agreement involves offering students new opportunities for work experience, training and mentoring to best equip them with skills that meet the music industry’s needs.

Read more >>

We took part in the #LoveScotlandsColleges campaign💙

Scotland’s colleges are crucial for their students, their communities, businesses, the economy, and their staff. To celebrate the outstanding innovation, hard work and best practice that takes place across the sector every day, our collaborative #LoveScotlandsColleges campaign launched in February.

The campaign highlighted the importance and strength of Scotland’s colleges, promoting examples, both national and local, of how colleges support students, the economy, businesses, communities, and staff

The campaign achieved over 6 million impressions over the 5-day period – an increase of 27.5% on the previous campaign!

Visitors join us from Brunei

A partnership was strengthened between UHI Perth and His Majesty the Sultan’s Flight (HMSF) Brunei representatives to welcome Brunei students to study in Scotland.

Dr Margaret Cook, UHI Perth Principal explained: “UHI Perth and Air Service Training (AST) recognise the importance of international partnerships and highly value the strong relationship built with His Majesty the Sultan’s Flight (HMSF) Brunei.

“We were delighted to host their senior officers to showcase our facilities and introduce them to our management and academic staff. The visit enhanced our partnership and strengthened relationships, allowing us to demonstrate our ability to provide the best student experience, high-quality education, and professional training to future Aircraft Maintenance Engineers from HMSF Brunei.”

Scotland’s Careers Advisers boosted their cyber know-how during CyberScotland Week.

Supported by the Scottish Government, the Routes to Cyber Careers event was supported by the Cyber Community of Practice - an academic community which is composed of lecturers delivering programmes of study in Cyber Security in colleges and universities across Scotland.

Ian Turnbull, UHI Perth Computing Lecturer, explained: “This was an excellent opportunity for over 90 Careers Advisors across Scotland to hear from experts from Industry and Academia about the breadth of roles and routes to careers in Cyber Security.

“Learners from a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences will benefit from being alerted to the interesting opportunities available to them in the sector.”

Guests found out UHI Perth’s contribution to student success

The Development Trust welcomed 25 guests to showcase the broad range of student work, see the campus facilities, and meet staff from each department.

The tour took in the Music and Media and Creative Industries studios before viewing the Aviation Hub where there was an opportunity for bolder individuals to experience flying in the simulator. Visitors continued to the Academy of Sport and Wellbeing (ASW) and the Hair and Beauty Therapy salons, before enjoying the recently created Community Wellness Garden.

In the Brahan building, guests visited the Green Energy Hub, Motor Vehicle and the Built Environment and Joinery workshops. The tour finished in the Food Studies and Hospitality department where delicious tea and cakes prepared and served by the catering students were enjoyed.

Veronica Lynch, Vice Principal, External Relations, explained: “We were delighted to show our guests the excellent work we do across departments that has a positive impact on our students’ lives and the service we provide to our community and beyond.”

Exceptional music students benefited from special award 🎵

UHI Perth music students Liam Cooney and Eden Noon were the 2022 winners of the UHI Liam Colgan Music Student Awards. They each received £500 towards a mentoring opportunity with a renowned songwriter and producer of their choice.

Programme Leader for UHI’s BA (Hons) Popular Music, Dr Seán R. McLaughlin, explained: “Liam and Eden are outstanding graduates and truly deserving winners of the Liam Colgan Songwriting and Music Production Awards. Both students excelled in their creative practice work and completed projects that emphasised the importance of collaboration in popular music.”

Speaking about his award, Liam said: “I would like to express my grateful thanks to UHI and to the family of Liam Colgan for this award. It is an honour to receive this award in Liam’s memory after graduating from the same course he completed and, whilst I sadly never met Liam, I have heard his work and know he was a deeply talented and respected musician.

“In honour of Liam’s passion for song writing and live performance, this award will help me progress with my own work in these fields. I cannot thank the family enough for their kindness and generosity throughout a time of what must be incredible grief and loss.”

Eden added: “I am extremely grateful to receive this award. Song writing is a huge passion of mine and is the way in which I best express myself, so it means a lot to me that my work has gained recognition. Being the recipient of the Liam Colgan Songwriting award has definitely given me the incentive to continue making music.”

The award was set up in 2019 by the family of Liam Colgan in partnership with UHI. Founder of the award, Brian Colgan, explained: “Liam’s family and friends were devastated by his untimely death. I wanted to find a way of ensuring that something positive came out of this devastation. I explained my plans to the university, and they couldn’t have been more helpful. They had a framework in place which fulfilled all of my objectives - to help students who were following the same path as Liam did; and to try to make Liam’s music available to as wide an audience as possible."

Alison Wilson, UHI’s Director of Advancement and Alumni Engagement, said: "We feel very grateful indeed that the Liam Colgan Music Fund continues to donate to UHI, year on year, in memory of talented music graduate, Liam Colgan. Liam’s memory lives on in these awards which are allowing our fantastic UHI graduates to pursue their ambitions and dreams.”

Business minded students win UHI student enterprise competition 🥇

The student enterprise competition offers practical business support to students from all disciplines who aspire to run their own business, create a social enterprise, and develop their enterprise skills. Entrants were provided with training and a small pot of funding to invest in their business idea.

The competition, funded by Converge - Scotland’s largest company creation programme for the university sector, also gives students an opportunity to explore undertaking a full Converge application for additional funding and support.

Gergana Sirakova, a HNC beauty therapy student at UHI Perth, won £500 for the provision of non-surgical skin treatments using collagen products. Gergana hopes to encourage more people to invest in themselves and will use products containing collagen to boost skin elasticity. She plans to use the funding to purchase products and equipment to kickstart her idea.

Gergana said: “I’m ambitious and motivated, and my dream has always been to create a unique beauty salon. My motivation comes from my desire to create a good lifestyle for me and my family.

“When I entered the student enterprise competition, I had already secured premises for my salon, so I applied with the mindset of winning the funding to help me buy the products required to offer unique collagen treatment for people to slow the ageing process without surgery or Botox.”

Our HNC Musical Theatre students put on a Cabaret! 🎭

This was a collaborative, student-led project, along with two of our HND Technical Theatre students who designed and operated the sound and lighting. Each showcase consisted of two 45-minute acts filled with all their favourite musical numbers. It was a night of theatrical entertainment in an intimate audience setting.

An event connected employers and the workforce of the future

In partnership with Perth and Kinross Council (PKC) Skills and Employability Initiatives Team and DWP, UHI Perth hosted a successful Community Jobs Fayre and Regional Employer Event on Tuesday 30 May.

It served to connect employers, the workforce of the future, including students and the wider community.

Over 30 employers presented job opportunities, along with a host of guest speakers including Alison Edgar MBE, leading author and motivational speaker; and Mike Benson, Director of the Crannog Centre. Fireside sessions designed to stimulate discussions were hosted by John Ferguson, Tay Cities Clean Growth and the Regional Hospitality Forum showcasing the power of partnerships.

Awards event honoured stand-out students and staff 🏆

An awards ceremony at UHI Perth recognised Outstanding, Best, and Inspiring (OBI) staff and students. Led by Your Students' Association - staff and students put forward nominations in various categories celebrating teaching staff, non-teaching staff, Personal Academic Tutors, Student Voice Representatives and Sports Clubs and Societies. Xander McDade, Provost of Perth and Kinross, also attended the ceremony to honour and acknowledge the hard work and dedication of the winners.

Dr Margaret Cook, UHI Perth Principal said: “These awards celebrate the amazing staff, students and student groups that help make UHI Perth a fantastic community. The ceremony is a timely reminder to appreciate and reward the hard work and dedication of our staff and students in creating the best student experience possible, and how we work hard to embed student engagement in partnership with our students. Many congratulations to all the nominees, winners, and runners up.”

Todor Pavlov-Kennedy, Perth President, explained: "I’m delighted that we have reached this time of year to host our OBI Awards, and the very special atmosphere they bring to our campus at UHI Perth. This year is the tenth year since the awards first began, designed to celebrate student and staff achievements.

"Bringing together the UHI Perth community for this special occasion highlights the amazing work students and staff have done this past academic year. We look forward to another ten years of OBI Awards to come so we can continue to celebrate the accomplishments of our wonderful UHI Perth community!"

Our Musical Theatre students were back for Little Shop of Horrors

Our HND Musical and Technical Theatre students were delighted to present their production of Little Shop of Horrors – a delicious sci-fi smash about a man-eating plant!

The UHI Perth Nursery children got hands on with woodwork 🪵

The children collaborated with Next Steps to Learning students doing a woodwork course, to encourage future woodwork activities within the nursery setting.

Lianne Schemper, Nursery Manager, explained: “Our children and college students designed and worked together to construct two fabulous woodwork benches and a table.

“We strongly encourage ‘learning through doing.’ The experimental nature of woodwork involves each child participant developing their wellbeing, self-confidence and a ‘can do’ mindset as working with wood provides rich, multi-layered experiences to build on previous learning. The skills and knowledge gained can resonate throughout life which is a huge part of what we would like to achieve.

“We are enabling our youngest ‘students’ on campus with lifelong learning and endless possibilities as they are our future students. We can’t wait to see what we make using our lovely new workbenches!”

A Joint Project Addressed Community and Environmental Needs

A collaboration between UHI Perth’s computing students and Perth and Kinross Council (PKC) saw laptops that would’ve otherwise gone to landfill, be re-distributed into the community.

The WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) Recycling Centre at UHI Perth was granted £25k from PKC to complete a refurbishment of over 130 donated laptop devices.

By providing refurbished laptops to service users within the Perth and Kinross Council community that may have no access to digital devices, this project helps to bridge the ‘digital divide’, allowing people in the local community access to educational resources, employment opportunities, and online communication tools. It means they can enhance their digital literacy, access online opportunities, and engage in e-learning, promoting skill development and community growth.

Read more about this project >>

We partnered with the Universal Centre of Sport to deliver a sports and fitness degree course to learners at Rangers Football Club ⚽

The collaboration will enable people with links to the club to access a relevant higher education programme to support their future career paths and forms the first club to be supported by the UCS and UHI partnership.

The BSc (Hons) Sport and Fitness degree is a specialised programme which will provide scientific underpinning knowledge and technical skills. Students will gain the experience and qualifications to make them assets to the sports and fitness industry now and in the future.

The blended delivery model, the first of its kind in this sector, provides students with a flexible but highly relevant mode of study that combines scientific theory and applied practical experience in real life organisational environments.

Read more about this partnership >>

We hosted a competition that recognised the brightest Electrical Apprentices of the Year in the East region 💡

Run by Scottish Electrical Charitable Training Trust (SECTT), the best apprentices from 22 colleges across the country were rewarded for their hard work and dedication throughout the year across three competition heats.

George Mailer, UHI Perth Electrical Engineering Lecturer, said: “The East Regional Apprentice of the Year competition has proven to be an incredibly valuable initiative for our electrical students, providing them with numerous benefits and opportunities for growth. This prestigious competition serves as a platform for recognising and rewarding exceptional talent within the field of electrical work.

“Firstly, participating in the Apprentice of the Year competition allows our electrical students to showcase their skills and knowledge in a competitive environment. This experience not only boosts their confidence but also encourages them to strive for excellence in their work. The competition serves as a motivating factor, spurring our students to continuously improve their abilities and stay updated with the latest advancements in the electrical industry.

“Secondly, the Apprentice of the Year competition provides a unique opportunity for our students to network with industry professionals, including other staff and fellow students. Moreover, the Apprentice of the Year competition promotes a culture of healthy competition among our students, by pitting their skills against other students from other colleges in Scotland.”

UHI Perth student Blair Matchett employed by RW Bell (Electrical) Pitlochry Ltd commented: “I enjoyed the practical install, and it was good experience.” Josh added: “I found the competition challenging with the time, but I enjoyed gaining experience from others.”

Project Caddy 🚗

This project by the UHI Perth Motor Vehicle department was an opportunity to demonstrate by design how cars are constructed using sheet steel, forming box sections with the metal, using differing welding techniques and mechanical fasteners.

The main construction was carried out by students on our Diploma in Accident Repair Body Principles Level 5/6 alongside students on our Certificate in Introduction to Motor Vehicle Industry and Technologies course, who chose the colourway and carried out the paint preparation.

Motor Vehicle Lecturer, Ricky Neil, said: “This is a project I have wanted to try for several years; With my knowledge of vehicle construction, I was able to offer guidance to begin with, but I was then able to step back and watch the project come alive with enthusiasm from the groups and minimum guidance from myself.”

Motor Vehicle Student, David Rose, said: “I’ve learned so much from this project, I’ve loved fabricating the panels and you have a great sense of achievement when you finally fit all the panels together to make the finished project which is what we've done this year.”

Exceptional UHI Perth students were celebrated at a special prizegiving ceremony 🥇

The event honoured students who had demonstrated outstanding performance, talent, dedication, and contribution in their academic and personal lives.

Taking place for the first time in UHI Perth’s Academy of Sport and Wellbeing (ASW) on the Crieff Road campus; families, employers, lecturers and guests all enjoyed recognising the efforts of award-winning students.

The ceremony began with a welcome from Dr Margaret Cook, Principal and Chief Executive, who emphasised the significance of the event. She explained: “I would like to thank everyone who joined us to celebrate the achievements of our outstanding students. They have worked incredibly hard, particularly given the difficulties around Covid. With commitment and determination, our students have been supported by their families, friends and UHI Perth staff who have encouraged them to achieve their goals.

“Many have also been supported by employers and sponsors and our thanks go to everyone who has played their part. Congratulations to all of our prize-winners, on such an enjoyable and special day.”

UHI staff and students were recognised 🏆

Staff and students across UHI have been commended for their contributions in the 2023 Highlands and Islands Students’ Association awards.

The student-led awards recognise staff and students who have gone above and beyond. The initiative gives students the chance to thank those who have inspired and supported them.

This year, over 300 staff and students were nominated for the awards.

See the list of winners >>

Four UHI Perth students were recognised in the Sporting Blues

The prestigious awards highlight the outstanding sporting achievements of UHI students and are presented to people who attain an exceptionally high standard of performance in their sport.

Congratulations to Laura, Lois, David, and Cerys!

Read more about their achievements >>

We had a Ministerial Visit

We were pleased to welcome Graeme Dey MSP, Minister for Higher and Further Education, to UHI Perth. He met our Principal, Dr Margaret Cook, and had a tour of the campus

UHI postgraduate experience was rated best in Scotland for second year in a row 👏

UHI received a score of 92% student satisfaction in the 2023 Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey. The result means that UHI achieved the highest rating of any Scottish university and has been ranked third out of the 101 participating institutions across the UK.

Coordinated by Advance HE, the Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey invites students to have their say on taught postgraduate university programmes. Students are asked about areas including teaching, assessment, and support.

Almost 90 students from across UHI completed this year's survey. Respondents rated UHI particularly highly for teaching, assessment, and organisation. Three UHI courses received 100% overall satisfaction scores: its MLitt in Viking studies, MEd tertiary and higher education and MA in contemporary art and archaeology.

We showed that there is #NoWrongPath

If our school leavers didn’t get the grades they were expecting, we reassured them that there was no need to panic! There’s not just one route to a destination. Paths may change and obstacles may arrive – but you can still get there! There is #NoWrongPath! ❤

Students awarded prizes for exceptional musical talent 🎸

UHI Perth students Kirsty Stewart and Lola Elvira Dorado were awarded a John Preston Music Award which supports emerging talent within the music industry.

Both students received a prize of £500 in recognition of their achievements to help them move forward with their chosen music careers.

Read more >>

The Academy of Sport and Wellbeing (ASW) won Best Health and Fitness Business in Perthshire

Over 150 businesses were represented across Perth, Dundee, and Angus at Scotland's Business Awards.

The ASW was recognised for creating and developing a strong sense of community to students, staff and community users across the gym, sport and climbing businesses.

Commended for supporting students into the workplace, offering work-based learning and student employment, it was also praised for the outstanding partnership work it has developed over the last seven years.

Gareth McKenna, Head of Business Development, who collected the award with ASW colleagues said: “This award is recognition of the work ASW has carried out in the last seven years. We are so thankful to all our loyal customers who have not only supported us throughout this time but took the time to vote for us and sent fabulous testimonials to the Scotland Business Award panel.

"I want to especially recognise the role our staff at ASW have played in receiving this award, they have gone above and beyond since we opened, they have shown resilience, a huge work ethic, innovation and at all times have put our customers and members first in their day-to-day work. They deserve great credit for this award and I extremely proud of them, we simply would not have won this award without their commitment."

Amber was named as a recipient of the British Psychological Association Award

Amber Thornley, a UHI Psychology student was named as a recipient of the British Psychological Association Award for Undergraduate Academic Excellence.

She was selected for the award in recognition of gaining the highest overall marks for fourth year among students on the UHI Psychology degree. Norman Wilson, Programme Leader explained: "Amber averaged over 70% in each year of her programme and did exceptionally well in her dissertation which looked at theory of mind performance in adults with elevated autism traits."

Read Amber’s reaction to winning >>

Our new Active Campus Coordinator started 😃

Making sure that our students, staff, and local community have access to sport and psychical activity on campus is really important to us at UHI Perth. The Academy of Sport and Wellbeing (ASW) provides an outstanding learning environment for our students and is an excellent facility for the community. It is equipped with a multifunctional sports hall, gyms, strength and conditioning suite, fitness studio, and Climbing Centre.

To help promote and facilitate the delivery of sport and physical activity on campus, a new Active Campus Coordinator has not long started at UHI Perth. Lindsey’s role will encourage and empower the student population to be more active, more often whilst in education. ⛹️⚽

If you have any suggestions or questions for Lindsey, you can email her on lindsey.brown.perth@uhi.ac.uk

Our students were honoured at Graduation and Celebration of Success and Achievement Ceremony 🎓

Nearly 300 graduates and award winners, together with their friends, family and guests enjoyed a warm congratulation on their achievements on Thursday 5 October at Perth Concert Hall.

Read more about the day >>

Our Employability Challenge Fund and Neurodiverse Group were highly commended at the UHI Student Support Initiative Awards

The Employability Challenge Fund – the aim of this project was to equip applicants with the focus needed to reskill or upskill. It focussed on developing employability and industry skills using various techniques and delivery methods.

🗣️‘’My confidence has grown massively in 6 weeks, the social aspect of coming to the skills academy has really helped with my mental health.’’

🗣️“I have overcome a barrier of the thought of trying something new! Getting up and into a routine was a struggle for me however this has given me the confidence to overcome the fear of a new challenge.’’

🗣️ ‘’I hadn’t turned on a computer since 2008, this course has given me the skills and confidence to do that again.’’

❤️ Applicants had struggled since the pandemic, and these short industry courses helped them to develop motivation and gain new skills. Several have since had successful interviews leading to employment or entry onto college/university courses.

The Neurodiverse Group – the aim of this project was to foster unity among students by embracing their unique qualities in a relaxed environment. The Group supports students facing communication, social, sensory, organisational, and learning challenges.

🗣️ “The Neurodiverse group gave me the opportunity to socialise in small groups. This year I have realised I have selective mutism where I can't talk because I am too anxious. Having Nicola there to talk to really helped too.”

🗣️ “Since starting college I've grown to understand more about myself on a deeper level, the help and support that the neurodiverse group at UHI Perth has provided has played a key role in this due to my tendency to isolate and not vocalise when struggling.”

🗣️ “From the first time of visiting the group I was welcomed in, which I felt encouraged me to feel a part of it already.”

❤️ Since inception, the Group has maintained a consistent attendance of 5-10 students per week, with approx. 36 sessions over the year. Students who would typically keep difficulties to themselves were observed growing comfortable discussing challenges, gaining perspective and alleviating stress.

Rockfest: Our Nursery Musical Journey 🥁

One of our nursery children, Sonny, loved to drum and talked about his love of drumming most days.

Inspired by this, his keyworker helped write a letter to the College’s music department to see if they could help develop his passion.

Sonny started individual drumming lessons to start with, and we opened this up to all children in the 3-5 room, inspiring a new musical journey. Music students began to visit us in the nursery where they introduced the children to different musical instruments, simple songs, and rhyme to encourage new musical skills. Further lessons with lecturer Mark introduced songs and rhyme - and the idea of putting on a ‘Rockfest’ grew from there.

Lianne Schemper, Nursery Manager explained: "Music is a wonderful mode of self-expression, and the children loved learning new songs and musical skills. We have a lot of children who have English as an additional language, and music allows them to become familiar with language patterns and how words are placed together.

"I am sure some of parents can still hear them singing ‘Tingalayo’ enthusiastically! We are looking forward to our next journey and seeing where it takes us this year."

The Big Project was back!

Students at UHI Perth welcomed the return to help alleviate the impact of the current economic crisis.

They are invited to help themselves from a selection of essential food, toiletries, and winter warm packs (hat, gloves, scarf, earmuffs) at pickup points in the Brahan and Goodlyburn receptions.

Deborah Lally, Head of Student Experience, explained: “We’re delighted to repeat The Big Project initiative this year. Funds were made available by the College’s Development Trust, and this allowed us to support students with cost-of-living challenges. Having these essential supplies is a really practical way we can help.”

Sam Monie, Student Engagement Coordinator, said: “With the cost of living now rising to over 10% the amount of money students now has to spend on food and toiletries has greatly been hit. Students are finding it very hard to manage to get by with such high rises in the cost of living. This sort of project helps students at UHI Perth access food and toiletries with little or no stigma.”

Your Students’ Association President, Fiona Smith, added: “The return of The Big Project is hugely welcomed. Other measures at UHI Perth to help our students include a range of period products freely available and complimentary breakfasts offering toast, cereal, tea and coffee. All initiatives to help alleviate student financial hardship is hugely welcomed.”

Student Kornelia shared: “It’s really helpful, I love the help we are getting. It helps my family a lot too, and when we need something - I can come and get it.”

Scholarship award winner benefits from local business support

Robert Boyle, a UHI Perth Built Environment student met up with Derek Petterson, CEO of McLeod Glaziers and Meldrum Joinery & Building, on the college’s campus.

Derek is supporting Robert with a scholarship - an award that gives him a financial reward, plus two weeks work experience within a real working environment.

Derek said: “It’s great to be able to support students who are committed to their studies and keen to develop their skills to reach their full potential. Robert has already completed the NPA Multiskills Construction course so has a good baseline knowledge.

“We look forward to welcoming Robert into our business and we are confident that his time working alongside our highly skilled and experienced team will be very beneficial to him pursuing a successful career as a joiner. We’re thrilled to be playing our part in helping shape the next generation of talented individuals.”

Robert added: “I’m excited for this opportunity to get to work on site with Meldrums to develop my practical skills and knowledge alongside my college course. The experience will hopefully increase my chances of gaining employment as an apprentice joiner on completion of the Built Environment course.”

Nicky Inglis, UHI Perth Sector Development Director, explained: “A scholarship is a gift which can make a great impact on our students and - for our supporters - the satisfaction of helping create a highly skilled workforce for the future.”

Erica wins female engineering prize!

Erica Lo Presti, Aircraft Engineering BEng (Hons) student at UHI Perth, was the 2023 recipient of the Sidney Black Memorial Engineering Award.

The annual award is offered to a graduating female engineering student, at the University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI) who has demonstrated a combination of academic achievement, personal attributes or a contribution to society or student life.

The award was donated to UHI by Lois Gray – engineering lecturer at UHI North, West and Hebrides, in memory of her late father.

“I am deeply honoured to be chosen as the awardee of the Sidney Black Memorial Engineering Award. I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude, especially to Lois Gray, who is not only donating a monetary prize to a graduating female engineering student but is also giving us the opportunity to be recognised for our hard work and dedication. This propels me forward to my last year at UHI and honours me with the responsibility of completing my degree in the best way possible.”

Read more >>

Our Hospitality department hosted a Christmas Night Market 🎄🎅

The very first Christmas Market was a great success! The team welcomed over 20 stall holders to the event with a wide variety of arts, crafts, cards and treats with some unusual gifts perfect for Christmas.

There was a real buzz in the ASW and Webster building, with lots of people milling around enjoying all that was on offer.

A special mention to HND Professional Cookery students Bekah and Peter who cooked the delicious pork and kimchi, which went down a storm!

Organiser Rhona Mcluskey, UHI Perth lecturer, explained: “We’re thrilled we have such a fantastic range of stallholders selling delicious homemade delights. Here at the college, we’ve been busy making the most of the fruit from the campus grounds to make wee bottles of Plum and Passion Fruit Gin, Rhubarb and Ginger Wine, Plum and Morello Cherry Gin and Plum and Peach Schnapps. There was also preserved treats on offer created by our HNC/D Professional Cookery students. Funds raised will support an educational visit for our students.”

One of our Lecturers was recognised for his outstanding contribution to Physiotherapy 👏

Dr Danny Biggs was awarded the prestigious ‘Student Contribution of the Year Award’ by the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy.

Sharon McGuire, UHI Perth Sector Manager, said: “This remarkable achievement adds an extra layer of significance to his academic journey. Balancing the demands of a doctoral programme with a commitment to lecturing, Danny has exemplified exceptional leadership and dedication. His impact is felt across various initiatives, from promoting student-led research to researching perfectionism and burnout in physiotherapy and showcasing his tireless efforts to enhance the UHI Perth experience for all.

“Receiving the CSP award while pursuing a doctorate is a testament to Danny's ability to excel academically while actively contributing to the vibrant tapestry of our UHI Perth community. We are immensely proud of his accomplishments and look forward to witnessing the continued positive influence he brings to our academic environment.”

A new salon opened up career opportunity for Blairgowrie High School pupils ✂️

After a year of development and hard work, a new hairdressing salon was designed and installed to allow pupils to learn within the school grounds. The first group of Skills for Work National 5 Hairdressing pupils have now started their course, delivered in-school by the UHI Perth Hairdressing team as part of the Schools/College Partnership initiative which enables young people to access UHI Perth courses as part of their school timetable.

Read more about this partnership >>

We were highly commended at the Star Awards ⭐

The UHI Perth Marketing team were Highly Commended at the Perthshire Chamber of Commerce Star Business Awards 'Excellence in Digital Media' Award sponsored by Crunchy Carrots Media! We were thrilled to be recognised for our work in sharing our student’s unique and brilliant journeys.

We awarded our Apprentice of the Year at the Star Awards ⭐

UHI Perth are proud to annually sponsor the Apprentice of the Year award at the Perthshire Chamber of Commerce Star Awards. This year's nominees all demonstrated a very high standard and showed enthusiasm, passion, and commitment to their learning and dedication to their employer and are a credit to each workplace.

After spending time with each candidate, where we listened to their journey, it was a very difficult decision to come to a winner. Sarah-Jane Urquhart (National Training Programme and Employability Manager at UHI Perth) was honoured to present Ed Nelson from Sidey with the winning trophy at the star-studded event at Crieff Hydro.

Sarah-Jane commented: “Ed was enthusiastic about his job and had become an expert at being ready for pick up at 6am. He was also keen to learn new tasks on a daily basis. He told us about his dedication and commitment to a career in joinery, since leaving school. He is looking forward to the next chapter of his journey when he learns about fitting and installing. Ed was certainly an ambassador for the training academy at Sidey.”

We held a Careers in Music event 🎵

Renowned industry practitioners participated in an exciting schedule of programmes that centred on innovation, education, and the expanding issues confronting the music industries.

The event offered UHI Perth students and school pupils from the local area who wish to work in the music business the chance to network, share expertise, and initiate opportunities with each other, and those already working in the field.

We hosted the annual Andrew Fairlie Scholarship

Our students had a fabulous day supporting the finalists in the Andrew Fairlie Scholarship final at UHI Perth. It was a brilliant day of learning for our Professional Cookery students who finished their day at Gleneagles Hotel for the results reception.

Congratulations to alumni Darren Heggie from City of Glasgow College and also Rachel Bremner from The Balmoral Hotel, who were joint winners! Both chefs were super at talking Claire and Lauren through what they were doing throughout the competition, which meant our young chefs benefited from all their knowledge and experience.

Our HNC students also did a brilliant job of taking care of the finalists, judges, and supporters throughout the day. Well done to all our students that were involved,

Our Christmas shop was a roaring success! 🎄

Our Hospitality and Food Studies department opened their annual Christmas shop with lots of Christmas goodies for sale ➡️🎅 chocolates 🎅 Xmas cakes 🎅 chocolate spoons, 🎅 delicious chutneys 🎅 gonks 🎅 gins.

The funds raised from the Christmas shop will support a future educational visit for our students.

We were commended and highly commended at the CDN awards 🌟

We were thrilled to be recognised at the CDN College Awards in Glasgow on Thursday 30 November 2023.

• Kathryn Lyneborg was highly commended in the ‘Research of the Year Award’ with her project “Are Personal Academic Tutors Necessary?”.

• The UHI Perth Library Environmental Hub were commended in the “Sustainability Action Award” with their project “Inspiring Sustainable Action”.

The Awards recognise the talent, innovation and achievement demonstrated by colleges, their staff, and their learners. This year, 154 inspiring projects were submitted, highlighting the fantastic work of Scotland’s colleges.

AITM College and UHI Perth forged a strong partnership 🤝

We received a very warm welcome in Katmandhu in Nepal at the Asian Institute of Technology and Management College. Helen Doig (Hospitality Lecturer), Jill Elder (Sector Development Director for Business, Management, Computing, and Leisure) and Craig Lennox (Head of International Partnerships) were in Nepal working on our new partnership

with AITM College. They met some super engaged students and colleagues, and also sampled the most delicious Nepalese food and culture. Jill, Helen, and Craig can see why our Hospitality, Business Management, Computing, and MBA programmes will be a great fit there, as it was such a friendly and hospitable country.

Now that the partnership agreement has been signed, the collaboration will pave the way for a brighter educational future for knowledge seekers in Nepal!

Motor Vehicle students triumphed in skills competition 👏

Oliver Young, won Gold, while Jack Johnston was Highly Commended representing UHI Perth at the 2023 Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI) Skills Competition.

Oliver and Jack, both apprentices working for J&R Auto Services were in the Light Vehicle Technology category following a year-long application and assessment process. The medal ceremony saw the biggest ever entry from all four UK nations and finalists may go forward to the World Skills International competition to be held in Lyon in September 2024.

Richard Hutchins, Competitions Manager at the Institute of the Motor Industry explained: “The IMI Skills Competition has been a huge success once again, highlighting some extraordinary talent from across the UK. Having been nominated by their tutor or employer, each competitor completed an online quiz, took part in a one-day practical national qualifier and underwent training days and employer visits. The finalists then attended a two-day practical live final for World Skills UK, completing their final six tasks in front of a team of volunteer judges.

“The programmes enhance the practical skills and knowledge taught on training courses by assessing an individual’s employability attributes. It has a real impact on those taking part, with 90% of previous entrants saying their career progression improved after competing, and 86% stating their personal and employability skills had improved.”

Thank you to all of our staff and students who have made 2023 such a fabulous year! Applications are open for 2024, so if you would like to play a part of our round up next year, find your New Start and #ApplyNow >>

Student Spotlight - Kenneth Madriaga

Student Spotlight - Kenneth Madriaga

Student Spotlight - Callum McHattie

Student Spotlight - Callum McHattie